Looking for a way to get involved?
Looking for a way to get involved with the community and help those affected by Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias? Then volunteering at AlzSWP is for you!
A Volunteer Specialist or our Manager of Volunteer Engagement will work with you to determine a volunteer opportunity that is best suited to you. No prior experience is necessary, and we provide full training and ongoing support for all volunteer positions.
Our unique Volunteer Engagement program is called the Volunteer Collective. This program is a volunteer sharing program that shares diverse dementia trained volunteers with other Alzheimer Societies and community partners.
The benefits of the Collective:
- Creating capacity within the system of care and support – no one living with dementia goes unsupported
- Improving our ability to meet the diverse needs of our clients (language and culture) in a variety of communities
- Sharing of dementia trained volunteers with partnering societies and organizations
- Creating a more Dementia Friendly Community
Where you can help
Wondering what kind of opportunities we have for volunteers? We have something for everyone! Here are some of the areas you can help out in.
Visit with a client once a week in their home
Commitment: 2-hour visit per week, a minimum of 16 visits
Group recreation program
Commitment: Minimum of 3 months, 4 hours per week
8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. or 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Choice of either a weekly shift or on-call support
Friendly phone calls made to clients and care partners
Commitment: Minimum 6 months, once a week for 4 hours between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Minds in Motion®
Group exercise program
Commitment: 9-week blocks, 3 hours per week
Helping our Education team in aging simulation workshops, working with our Fund Development, Education and Volunteer Engagement teams at fundraising events and booths at community events and fairs or working in one of our three offices assisting with administrative and data entry
Volunteer opportunities supporting clients are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Opportunities supporting fundraising events and booths at community events are evenings and weekends.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Help make life better for those living with dementia
- Support a cause you believe in
- Meet other people who share your interests and passions
- Learn new skills and discover new talents
- Establish contacts in your field of interest and gain experience for future employment
- Have fun!
- Volunteers are essential to our success as an organization
- Volunteers are an essential part of our Therapeutic Recreation programs
- Volunteers are a crucial part of our fundraising events
- Volunteers make a difference to AlzSWP, the community and local families living with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias!
At the Alzheimer Society Southwest Partners, our dedicated and caring volunteers are an essential part of the programs and services that we offer. Our volunteers know the power of giving their time and effort to work together to help local families living with dementia.